NZ moves 30cm closer to Aus

Well I knew a lot of Kiwis moved to Australia, but geez, this is a bit drastic isn’t it?

Big quake pushes NZ closer to Australia

A MASSIVE 7.8 magnitude earthquake last week has moved the south of New Zealand closer to Australia, scientists said yesterday.

With the countries separated by the 2250-kilometre-wide Tasman Sea, the 30-centimetre closing of the gap in New Zealand’s south-west won’t make much difference.

Whilst the distance the South Island moved has been given (30cm), no mention was made as to the exact direction of the movement. So we can’t make any predictions as to exactly where the island would hit mainland Aus, assuming regular quakes of similar magnitude in coming years (which, honestly, isn’t unreasonable).

Nonetheless, I reckon they’ll land at the Gold Coast. Nothing like moving nearer to the friends and relatives and all that, and they’ll be able to show them around the best surfing spots and nearest Centrelink offices.

I’m possibly overreacting though. Doing the sums: the Tasman Sea is approx 2250kms, and assuming one large quake causing a 30cm shift per year, that’d be 7.5 million years until landing.

So maybe it’s not time to panic just yet.

Heaven knows, we don’t want any aggression. If the NZ Navy were to get involved, their boat could cause chaos on the Great Barrier Reef.

But just think when they do eventually land, it’s really going to bugger up young Kiwis’ OEs, isn’t it? It’s hardly an OE if it’s to somewhere you can drive to.

Follow Fush ‘n’ Chups on Twitter.

About these ads

7 Comments

1. fushnchupsblog said

I have the horrible feeling one of those orange dots is directly under my house.

2. Squivy said

I’ll say!! You’re prettty much smothered by orange dots where you live Mr F&C. Check out the damage done by the Napier earthquake of 1931 at the local library picture archive … prepare yourself. Oh … and if the future HB eathquake did the opposite of the Fiordland one you’ll be closer to Chile do you know, tiempe para hacer un corso de espanol amigo!!

3. Squivy said

excuse my Spanish … tiempo para hacer un corso de espanol a todos los amigos de la baya de Hawke!! vera historia y suerte!!

4. fushnchupsblog said

Chile, East Coast Australia, I don’t care, I just want to live on an island that does move around too dramatically. Is that too much to ask?

I’ll run you through babelfish in the morning Squivy :-)

5. fushnchupsblog said

“time to do a Spanish course for all friends of Berry Hawke! vera history and fate”

Partly lost in translation, but I think I get the gist of it.

6. Squivy said

Better still … “Time to do a Spanish course for all my Hawkes Bay friends. True story and good luck!”

Nevertheless it was a good first try Mr F&C, when are you enrolling in a course to further improve your Iberian language skills? Not too urgent the earthquake hasn’t happened yet … he he he!!

7. O. Nohs said

I suggest coastal fortifications. If you actually want that many cheap loafers, there are shoe companies in China that will sell them to you. That sort won’t breed.

RSS feed for comments on this post

Comments are closed.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

%d bloggers like this: